Wednesday 25 September 2013

The Books Q & A Tag

I saw this tag on Evelyn’s blog and thought I would give it a crack. I've gotten back into reading since graduating, rewarding myself by finishing up the Hunger Games trilogy and am now also partaking in an ultra-casual, yet slightly nerdy, Graduates Book Club. I am probably going to post my reviews of the books we read on here so thought I would ease you in gently!

Q. What are you reading right now?
A. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, erm… it’s a bit old, but he is heralded as pioneer of detective fiction. 

Q. Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that?
A. Yes! I want to read Orange is the New Black because I absolutely adored the TV series, and Darkly Dreaming Dexter because the TV series has just finished and now I don’t know what to do.


Enid Blyton Malory Towers


Q. What 5 books have you always wanted to read but haven't gotten round to yet?
A.  Oh my goodness, erm..
  1. His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (I have seen the play though - it was magical!)
  2. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  3. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
  4. One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey (again first experienced as a beautiful play)
  5. Inferno by Dan Brown (technically the only reason I haven't read this yet is because they won't release it in paperback!)
Q. What magazines do you have in your bathroom/lounge right now? 
A.  I’ve just moved back home to my ma’s house and I think she’d kill me if I left magazines in our bathroom. I was subscribed to Newsweek until it went digital and I’m thinking of getting a subscription to Company or  Glamour (recommendations?).

Q. What's the worst book that you've ever read?
A. I can’t pin-point anything that I’ve thought was terrible, probably because I wouldn't have got to the end if I hated it, but I’ve certainly read my fair share of trash! I can proudly claim that I have read all the books ‘written’ by Pamela Anderson.

Q. What book seems really popular but you actually hated?
50 Shades of Grey, but to be honest I’ve not even read it, having the same name as the main character has caused me enough grief anyway.

Q. What's the one book that you recommend to just about everyone?
A. Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. People should stop being pretentious, Dan Brown is bloody phenomenal storyteller.

Q. What are you favourite 3 poems?
A. To be perfectly honest the only reason I’ve read poetry recently is because writing essays on poetry is notoriously easy. When I was younger I used to love a poem called The Duel, but right now the only poem I know any lines from is called A Peanut Sat on a Railway Track.

(A peanut sat on a railway track, His heart was all a-flutter. The five-fifteen came rushing by - Toot-Toot Peanut butter!)

Q. Where do you usually get your books?
A. The cost of books really stresses me out, I love them but they are quite expensive especially because I read pretty quickly. Charity Shops are a godsend for books and I also own a kindle (I’m sorry publishing industry). I also sometimes go to my local library *gasp*.

Q. Where do you usually read your books?
A. My commute to work is currently the top place I read.

Q. When you were little did you have any particular reading habits?
A. We used to have a little notebook at school where whenever you finished a book they gave you a little star sticker, I’m sure there used to be a purpose for collecting the stickers but I’ve no idea what!
Cute Bookworm Toys

Q. What's the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn't put it down? 
A. I reeally wanted to know what the conclusion to the Hunger Games would be and I have hazy memories of staying up way later than I should have in China reading that.

Q. Have you ever 'faked' reading a book?
A. I have a Literature degree so yes, one-thousand times yes. To this day I still have no idea as to what happens in the last ten pages of The Important of Being Earnest and have never read Oliver Twist.

Q. Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the cover?
A. Yes, but probably not at full price! I would imagine I read the blurb as well though..

Q. What was your favourite book when you were a child?
A. The Fire Within by Chris d'Lacey, it's an absolutely charming book that has everything that a curious 10 year old loves (including Squirrels and Dragons).

Q. What book changed your life?
A.  I can’t pinpoint anything that ‘changed my life’ but the book that sparked my enjoyment of reading when I was a wee littlun was The Hobbit by J. R. Tolkien as my dad used to read it to me while I was in the bath, n’awwh.

Q. What is your favourite passage from a book?
A. "He shall never know I love him: and that, not because he's handsome, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made out of, his and mine are the same.” 
This gem also comes from the same character:
“I'll be as dirty as I please, and I like to be dirty, and I will be dirty!”
                                                                    (
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë)

Q. Who are your top 5 favourite authors?
A. I can only pick 4 absolutes: George Orwell, Dan Brown, Alexander McCall Smith, Enid Blyton (the ones about boarding schools!).

Q. What book has no one heard about but should read? 
A. I'm not great on the whole 'undiscovered' genius thing, so maybe There's A Boy In The Girls Bathroom by Louis Sachar. Its that excellent mix of weird and beautiful.

Q. What is your favourite book from a first time author? 
A. I’m not sure if this counts but Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit was Jeanette Winterson’s first book (she probably has about 25 now!).

Q. What is your favourite classic? 
A. I'm quite partial to a bit of Shakespeare; Macbeth, Hamlet and Henry IV are particular favorites. (hello, literature student cliché)

If you do / have done this tag please leave a link below as I would love to read your answers!

       

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed reading your answers & congrats on finishing your English Literature degree :)
    I also want to read Orange Is The New Black - have heard it's even better than the TV show! x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete